My first book on tape...So I've started listening to "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert on my iPod. Her voice is very soothing and I'm loving it so far. But I don't believe I'm going to get as much out of it as when I read the book and highlighted/underlined words/passages that meant something to me at the time. Currently, a friend has my book borrowed and i look forward to getting it back just to see what things struck out at me at the moment in time when I read that book the first time. It's always amazing to me how different words affect me differently in books, inspire me in different ways, depending on the moment in time, the snapshot of my life, in which that particular book was read. For instance, each time I've read Siddhartha, which I'd count upwards of about 10, every experience of the book was new.
i had first leant my copy of "Eat, Pray, Love" to my acting coach when I was done. She had told me that certain things I had marked in one way or another made sense to her, while others she could not understand. I'm sure even when I go back to see what ideas struck me in my first read through (mind you, when I say first read through...I read over things that touched me several times), I may not understand certain highlighted portions either. A lot has changed since I first picked up the book. For anyone who has yet to read this incredible book, I highly recommend it. Not since Siddhartha has a book spoken to me in much the same way. I also love Tolle's 'finding your life's purpose," but it's not as easily readable as the first two I mention. I'm looking forward to see what ideas move me in hearing Elizabeth Gilbert read her words aloud herself.
I got even more excited about the book because we talked about living abroad tonight. I've always known that at some point I'd love to move back to Czech to get to know the country as an adult, and not just the few memories I have of my childhood. I want to experience it all again. Not to mention, the Czech economy is spectacular right now...I believe my ticket in will be teaching English. i want to have an experience like Gilbert's...spend time outside this country and just travel every so often and stay months in a country unknown and get to know it intimately. I love the discovery process into the little quirks that are unique to every place I visit. It's hard to get that in days, rather than the months I'd love to have for exploration. First things first...acting career that makes the above a little easier. Must go get some zzz's...goodnight.
Sunday, August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment