Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sunsets

I was on an hour and a half walk with my sister in the midst of one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in a while. I wish I wasn't lazy so that I'd post a picture of one of my favorite sunsets to date...will try to do so tomorrow. Not only does Tucson have phenomenal monsoons, the sunsets there are out of this world. I remember everything about the sunset I went to watch alone at Gate's Pass. I had Meggo's car because I had dropped her off at the airport and decided I needed some time in nature. So I set off on my adventure...I call it an adventure because I'm pretty sure I still didn't have a license at this point and had not been driving long. Not my smartest idea, but hey...the sunset I witnessed was worth the possibility of serious consequences. I must have taken at least 50 pictures with my brand new camera. I was never crazy about that camera so the pictures don't even do it justice...but at that very moment, I'd never felt more at peace and in complete awe of the world that surrounded me. I stayed there in complete silence for over 2 hours. I was mesmerized. I wrote in my journal but mostly I just sat there, watching as the sun slowly turned the sky shades of pinks and purples and oranges until it faded behind a mountain. I couldn't move for a while, and then the part of nature that drives me crazy made me realize I had tasty blood and would be eaten alive if I didn't move it along...what can I say, mosquitos love me.

Anyway, tonight's sunset reminded me of that calm. Of the beauty that so many take for granted. I'm thankful that I'm not that person. I treasure and am eternally grateful for such moments. Now I can go to sleep and hope my dreams can paint just as breathtaking a picture.

No comments: